One of the byproducts of having a successful basketball program is the attention it draws from national media. ESPN or CBS televises a number of our games. Coach Ryan is written about in well-known publications like Sports Illustrated and The Sporting News. And, of course, the Badgers are all over the internet in all of its forms.
The Big Ten Conference, however, has another media vehicle that most other conferences do not: the Big Ten Network. Carried by all the largest cable operators in the United States, the BTN gives the conference added exposure. It also brings with it nationally known media. Like Charissa Thompson, for example.
Thompson is one of the hosts of Fox’s Best Damn Sports Show Period and has been called a rising star as a sideline reporter whether it be baseball, football or basketball. She’s in town here as part of the Big Ten Network crew televising Thursday night’s men’s hoops game at the Kohl Center between the Badgers and No. 18 Minnesota. Joining Thompson are Tom Hamilton, who called Wisconsin’s 1997 upset win over No. 2 Minnesota, and former Ohio State star Jim Jackson.
UWBadgers.com asked Charissa if she’d do a little personality questionnaire for us and she agreed. So, here’s our “20 Questions” – actually 22 – with Charissa Thompson …
1. What’s your hometown?: Seattle
2. Where did you go to college?: University of California Santa Barbara
3. Sports you played in high school or college?: basketball, track and volleyball
4. Your favorite thing about college basketball?: atmosphere
5. First job you ever had?: working in a coffee shop
6. What’s in your iPod?: country and hip/hop
7. Most memorable game you’ve covered?: Appalachian State’s football win at Michigan in 2007
8. Another sportscaster / reporter that you admire?: Jim Nantz
9. Your favorite vacation spot?: Aruba
10. Someone you’d like to interview (sports or non-sports)?: Michael Jordan
11. An athlete you’d pay to watch?: Michael Jordan
12. A good book you’d recommend?: The Alchemist
13. Your favorite movie?: Shawshank Redemption
14. Your most prized possession?: photos
15. A quote or motto that you like?: "It’s not how far you fall, it’s how quickly you get up"
16. Interests outside of work?: yoga and running
17. Something you’ve always wanted to do?: sky dive
18. Favorite food?: sushi
19. A job you’d like to have other than the one you have?: None!! This is the only one I’d want!!
20. Title of your autobiography?: “It’s Not the Destination, It’s the Journey”
21. Favorite restaurant: El Cholo (Mexican restaurant)
22. How would Best Damn Sports Show co-hosts Chris Rose and John Salley describe you?: crazy !